Presence of mold in the home has become a serious concern in today’s environment. Mold is a naturally occurring life form that has been around longer than humans and typically flourishes in the outdoors. Unfortunately, when a mold colony establishes in your home, the affects can cause serious concern. Depending on size and condition of the growth, ventilation, exposure time, and the individual’s sensitivity, contact with mold may cause respiratory problems or worsen existing health conditions. As a regenerative and defensive action, mold releases spores into the air that cannot be seen by the naked eye. Due to the nature of this process, removal of spores requires very detailed and specialized equipment to be successful.
Visible mold is best described as a symptom of another serious problem….water or moisture intrusion. When high moisture levels are present, mold will thrive. Mold is a life form very similar to us and requires three simple things to sustain its self; water, temperature conducive to specific types, and food sources such as cellulose materials. If only one of these items is removed, mold cannot survive. Unfortunately, our homes are primarily made of cellulose materials, a great food source that we cannot remove. And, our individual comfort range is greatly appreciated by most mold types. The only factor we can control is water (moisture) in our homes. We should have our indoor relative humidity above 25%. Mold can draw necessary moisture from the air at 60% and above. Although varying to our individual comfort level, most experts agree an optimum moisture level should be approximately 50% to avoid mold growth. Building materials, such as gypsum, wood, etc., should contain no more than 15% moisture. Under normal conditions, i.e., climate control, good ventilation, and normal home maintenance, moisture ranges are generally acceptable. When significant water intrusion occurs, such as ruptured pipes or unnoticed leaks, an optimum environment for mold growth is allowed. These conditions need to be repaired and impacted areas immediately dried. This will prevent or limit mold growth. Basic home maintenance to prevent excessive moisture include; positive drainage from the home’s exterior, clean/flowing roof gutters, checking sump pumps for optimum operation, open and free dryer vents, sealed windows, and proper operation of your heating/cooling systems, just to name a few.
If you have visible growth or suspect a mold problem is beginning, we are happy to discuss your individual problem and determine the best solution. From detailed cleaning to major demolition, we conduct our services as to minimize disruption to your daily life. Our technicians understand this is your home and carry out their work in a respectable and detailed manner. Whether large or small, we have the resources to provide you with a practical and cost effective approach to your situation.